At the end of the Middle Ages, there were six farm buildings on the Merlinge Estate.
A fortified house was built in the 16th Century, replaced by the Château de Merlinge in 1645. During the Reformation, Merlinge became a refuge for free thinkers. By the 18th Century the old farm buildings had disappeared, and all the land was incorporated into the estate. Left in disrepair during the 19th Century, the estate was acquired and restored in the 20th Century.
In 1942 it became the residence of the Queen of Italy.
The main plot includes the following : the château as main building with about 1,500 sq m of living space over three floors and magnificent reception rooms. A main courtyard separates the first outbuilding with the garages and two apartments for staff. The second outbuilding includes the stables and a 4-room apartment on the ground floor. There are two other apartments upstairs. These
have been recently renovated and are in perfect condition.
A second plot includes a riding centre, large barn, a farm and apartments free of occupancy.
Together the plots cover an area of 471,455 sq m or a little over 47 hectares.
A video of the estate can be viewed here :
Password : Merlinge2015